7 ways to keep your refinished tub looking perfect
Refinishing your bathtub can drastically change how its surface looks. Let’s learn how to keep it looking this way.
CARING FOR YOUR NEWLY REFINISHED BATHTUB
Your bath is refinished and looking better than ever. You should use recommended products for surface cleaning to maintain its condition, take care of it properly in order for it to look good and for you to enjoy using it for many years to come.
Here are some important rules, tips and instructions on how to care for your newly refinished tub.
- At least 24 hours (at 72F) have to pass before you’ll be able to put your refinished surface back into full use, although it may actually take up to 5 days for it to completely harden up.
- The best way to care for your refinished fixture and keep it looking its best for a long time is to wipe it with a towel after every use. It helps to prevent soap from building up, which is important since it is extremely hard to remove once it hardens. For once a week cleaning, you should use mild soap and water with a soft wash cloth. Do not use abrasive pads and cleaners, the refinished surface is non-porous.
Do not forget to review each cleaner’s specific instructions. Do not allow cleaners to remain on the surface for a long time, rinse thoroughly after cleaning. There’s a variety of cleaning product you may wish to use, but first you should test them on a small area, the way you test cosmetics on your wrist before using it anywhere else.
Cleaning products we recommend for use on your refinished surfaces:
- Plastic pads and brushes generally used on Teflon surfaces are fine to use.
Dish-washing soaps like Joy and Ivory, diluted in water, is the cleaner we would recommend: it is quite gentle and smooth, but easily removes body oils and bath oils.
- Removing stubborn stains from the refinished surface. Do not use wire brushes, Comet or Ajax, abrasives, cleaners containing ammonia, bleach and scratch pads. Use of these chemicals damages the surface. Then what do you do when you face a stubborn stain, discoloration, or come across a scratch? We recommend using automotive rubbing compound, since it has grit in it, and then make it shine like it used to using automotive polishing compound. Any brand should work, you can find them at Walmart or any store that sells auto parts.
- Powders and crystal cleaners aren’t recommended, you should use liquid drain cleaners. Removing all water and the tub drain plug is necessary while using liquid drain cleaning agents. Also use a sponge to remove as much water out of the tub’s drain as possible, or suck some of the water out with the use of a small diameter clear vinyl tubing, inserting it into the drain. Slowly pour chemicals directly down the drain. Allow some time for them to work. Make sure to avoid spilling and chemicals coming in contact with the refinished surface. Immediately wipe them should it happen.
- Are you a dog owner? If you usually wash your dog in a tub, put a bathmat or a towel on the bottom of the tub and over the rail to avoid scratches left by dogs’ nails when they climb in or out of the tub. If your Pluto still manages to accidentally scratch the surface, read the instructions above.
- Storing your shampoos, shower gels, soap, etc. is best using a shower caddy or a shelf. Try not to leave products, especially Alkaline ones, on the surface, since they will attack it over time. Use a raised holder if you have a built in soap dish.
- Try not to use tools or heavy objects near the refinished surface, use protective padding in case they accidentally drop.
Refinishing your bathroom fixtures’ surface is a better option than remodeling due to its price. But, as does everything else, it requires care in order to extend its life. Instructions and tips on this page can be used for new fixtures too.